Friday, May 13, 2011

Is it a dream, or is this real?




Seriously? I get to go to the other side of the world??? That was the first and only thing on my mind as I finished up packing my 85 liter pack. Can't say I really knew what I was doing, but I guess I shouldn't be expected to when I have never been in a situation where I have to pack my entire world in a bag that is going to be hung from my shoulders for the next year or so, at least. Odds and ends, like a little rope and carabineers sounded good so I threw in a couple of those too. Two extra sticks of deodorant and a little soap to top of the man cosmetic bag and called it good.

Left home about 14:30
(for those of you counting on your fingers that is 2:30pmwith Mom, Dad, and Sandy to head out to DIA and get my 17:30 plane to LAX. I waited till the last min to say last "see ya in a year" and "love ya's" (and to take a mild tranquilizer that Sandy gave me for the long flights). I then got the first class treatment from my DPD Uncle as I was taken to the front of security. Then I sat at gate B42 in anticipation, and fear, for the year of travels to come. Flight from DIA to LAX was nice and short thanks to the tranq. Now only a short 13 hr flight to Auckland and I'm almost there! 

After finishing my 4hr layover in LA I met some guy that was headed to Auckland for some business trip, some computer business or something. We chatted for a min as I finished a few of my snacks I'd put in my day pack for the long trip and we boarded the plane. On the plane I sat next to my first Aussie (Richard). We chatted for the majority of the flight and he told me stories of the past 6 months that he had traveled through Canada and some parts of the US. Great first impression of the Aussies! We exchanged info just before getting of the plane as it turned out that he lives in Manly (my first stop). Had a 9hr layover in Auckland NZ. So I took the chance to to put my first stamp in my passport and caught a ride on the SkyBus into the city for a little tour. Went to the coffee shop and contacted the fam from the other side of the pond. 9hrs didn't really leave enough time to do that much but at least I got a little taste of my first Kiwi city


After watching the colorful safety video starring Richard Simmons (Awesome!), had the short 3hr flight to Sydney. I arrived at 18:50 so the light was pretty low :( I was looking forward to the view of Sydney Opera house that everyone had told me about, but I guess that will have to wait for the departure flight.


 Had no clue where I was going to stay that first night but I saw a place that looked pretty cool online called "Manly Backpackers". Took the ferry across the harbor and went searching for the first place to crash. After asking a few peeps and getting pointed in several different directions, I landed on the doorstep of a LOCKED backpackers...But lucky for me Laura of Ireland came out to save me and tell the manager that a new greasy backpacker was at the door. After dragging  my backpack and day pack upstairs to room 104. You can imagine how overwhelmed I was walking out into the common area and found, for the first time in my life 25-30 people for all parts of the world. Of course I had to get there on a Friday night when everyone was all chummed up. After walking around like a ghost for a couple of mins just waiting for someone to say "Hey" or "Sit down" I finally mustered up the balls to break into the conversation. I sat down next to the first friendly face I saw and asked where the nearest liquor store was. After a successful beer run I purchased my first $15 six pack of MAXX Dry (Damn that's expensive!). 3 beers later and I had already met my first English, Italian, Irish, and French backpackers. This is gonna be fun...  



1 comment: